Thursday, April 14, 2011

25 + 0

It's early because I still have time. It's late because I've missed so much. 

Midnight rides in my dad's firebird
listening to Queen reminding us 
that it's late but not too late. 
That we don't want to live forever. 
And these are the days of our lives. 

Going to the record store
to pick up Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters"
and touching the black cover that distinguishes it 
from the brightly colored albums of hair metal bands. 

Me and Gina sitting in the back seat
tiny legs barely reaching over the end of the chair
We sing along and eat chicken nuggets
from Burger King
Dad always gets us fries even though I never eat them. 
I am a bony little girl with no appetite. 

Kids should be free to roam the nights. 
The night will never look as beautiful again
and I'll never smell the night the same
and be able to take big gulps of blackness
in my mouth and swallow it whole. 

If I had more time and didn't have to go home early
and sleep because of school- 
then I would remember it clearly now
I would have no regrets perhaps. 

It seems like the world tries to get us so occupied
that we fail to realize the important things are right in front of us.
I used to ditch high school for that reason.
Now, I want to ditch society.

No comments:

Post a Comment